Sunday, June 17, 2007

The name's Daddio, Sweet Daddio....

I have an infatuation with James Bond. It may stem from the fact that my life is so anti-Bond. By 30 minutes into each movie he has slept with more women than I have my whole life (that number for me btw is 1). Exotic locations for me means Tybee Island, or Sylvania. The closest thing I've come to saving the world was helping to develop a new lightweight bullet/flak proof fabric that wouldn't weigh down pilots if they ditched in water. Most of the crises I face involve bad bearings, bent rolls, or raw material shipments that are late. Sometimes I get to work on a problem as threatening as girlfriend problems for #3 son. My ability to fix things with minimal resources has in the past earned me the nickname "McGyver", but it's Bond James Bond I really want to be.

I own all the original Ian Fleming novels. The fascinating thing about the novels is that they take place starting in the early fifties, and most of the bad guys were former Nazis or other displaced persons of nefarious background for whom all records of their existence were destroyed in WWII. They then give themselves new identities with fanciful names like Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Auric Goldfinger or Hugo Drax. Of the movies, only Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and On Her Majety's Secret Service follow the novels of the same name.

Rootietoot and The Boys have been gifting me with 'The Ultimate James Bond Collection' for Christmas, b'day, etc. With the boxed set I recieved for Father's Day I have all but one set. I've been watching the new movies today between Nascar and the U.S. Open golf tournament. So, for today I get to vicariously be a dashing handsome secret agent.

Tomorrow I go back to being plain old Sweet Daddio.

No comments: